Great States Reel Mower Review
Editor Rating - 9.3/10
Customer Rating - 9.0/10
This reel mower company has been around for 100 years. Over that time they have endured expansion, downsized, and changed company names; the one thing that has remained consistent is their commitment to making quality push reel mowers.
|Where grass is disposed:||rear|
The Great States is classically designed with no extra frills. It is basically the better made version of the same mowers that your grandparents used to own. It has a v-shaped padded handle (powder coated for rust resistance), 10 inch wheels (ball bearing), and alloy steel reel with heat treated blades.
What these features mean for you
- Comfortable mowing with dampened vibrations due to the padded handle.
- Smooth pushing thanks to the wheel construction
- Long-lasting, reliable performance thanks to the alloy steel reel and durable blades.
- Performance on thick grass: The mower will work on thicker grasses, but be wary of cutting tall grasses. The problem with tall grass is that it bends under the blade and doesn’t get cut (whereas shorter grass stays rigidly in place).
- Lawn size: This mower has a smaller cutting width, so it would be best used for small to medium sized lawns, but since there are no battery constraints you could feasibly mow a large lawn with this unit.
- Blade Maintenance: The blades perform better if they are lubricated with WD-40 post usage. This is just a quick spray, so nothing intensive. Lubrication will allow the blades to stay sharp longer. The average time between sharpening should be about 3 years.
- Ease of use: This mower is easy enough to operate that children use it. This is actually one of the major pluses of reel mowers-they are safer than rotary mowers. The blade is hard to access, and unless the mower is being pushed the reel will not be turning. These features make it hard for children to accidentally injure themselves.
- The grass clippings are propelled backwards onto the user. This is a minor inconvenience, but can easily be solved by purchasing a bag to collect the clippings.
The Great States reel mower is our top pick for a reason. It is solidly made and built to last, cuts the lawn well, and is priced fairly. This ergonomic and light piece of equipment will serve you for years to come. One final plug: using a reel mower gives you a light aerobic workout. So you save the environment, cut your lawn, and lose weight all at the same time-sounds like a great deal.