2017 is rapidly approaching and ushering in a new age of technological advancement. In light of these changing technologies, existing products have been converted to operate solely on electricity. Electric vehicles and appliances perform the same as their gas counterparts, but have been historically limited by battery life. Now the time has come where battery life is good enough to sustain projects such as self-driving cars, and in this case: electric lawn mowers. So lets dive in to some of the best lawn mowers that you can buy!
What is an Electric Mower?
It is a lawn mower that runs exclusively on electricity. They come in two varieties cordless and corded. This article will be covering the cordless variants, because they are more popular.
The Best Electric Lawn Mower of 2024
These are some of our favorite picks for the year. You can check out our full reviews as well, but we wanted to give a quick, all in one place overview for some of the hottest mowers on the market. These mowers have power, features, you name it, and most importantly they are all electric. You’re sure to find something that catches your eye. Let’s dive in…
This is one of the best selling mowers on Amazon including gas mowers. It hasn’t reached this lofty sales height for no reason though. It is a machine that not only cuts the grass well, but also has battery life and extra features galore. To begin with, there are two blades which finely cut the grass, and make sure that the battery’s power is maximized with each cut. Speaking of the battery, there are actually two of them. They are 40v each and provide plenty of power. Additionally, they last for 45 minutes, which should be enough for an average to larger sized lawn (also depends on your cutting speed). In the rare case that you need more juice, you can simply purchase an extra battery to have on standby. The added benefit of buying Greenworks products is that they are cross compatible with over 22 other lawn care tools Greenworks manufactures. The last things I want to address are some comfort features that really make a difference in the end user experience. The first is the headlight which allows for mowing in darker conditions. There is also a single lever that adjusts the height and an electric start. This is a very compelling package with few flaws. The only thing we could find is that the cutting deck is only 20 inches, so it is not as wide as some other mowers.
Our next recommendation is targeted at those people who think that electric mowers don’t have the cutting strength to deal with thick lawns. This machine is as powerful as gas mowers, and will cut your lawn with ease. The battery is an incredible 56 volts, and causes the rotary blade to spin at over three thousand revolutions per minute. On top of everything, the EGO supports rapid charging, and will fill the battery in only thirty minutes of your time. When you are done mowing, and need to put the mower away it folds into a more compact upright package just like the Toro Smartstow. The only downside to this mower is that the battery life could be longer, but you can purchase models with bigger batteries if you are willing to spend more money.
This mower is always featured on TV commercials, so we wanted to cover it briefly because unlike the two recommendations that preceded it-this mower is not as easy to recommend. It starts of promising with its dual mode cutting abilities. You can choose to run it in low or high power depending on the difficulty of the grass you are cutting. The problems with this mower begin when you realize that the cutting deck is tiny at only 18 inches (advertised as 19) the battery life gets worse relatively quickly, and the weight is quite heavy (eighty seven pounds!)
This mower surprised the entire team with what a great performer and value driven option it seems to be. It has a similar technology to the WORX called autosense that is able to adjust power output based on grass thickness. This feature is complemented by a massive bag to collect lawn clippings, not to mention side/back/mulching discard options are supported. Finally, there is a feature called EdgeMax which means that you can mow right up against boundaries like fences and masonry. This fact is made even better thanks to the 20 inch cutting deck width, which covers a good amount of yard in each pass. To top it off, the battery life is 45 minutes like the Greenworks, but there are no quick charging features like those found in the EGO+. This is a serious mower that deserves high consideration.
Why Should You Buy One?
- Quiet: One of the greatest features of owning an electric is that it operates very quietly. This is a bigger deal than most people think. Whereas with a traditional petrol powered mower you would have to avoid mowing in the evening for fear of disturbing your neighbors, this frees up the schedules of homeowners to mow whenever they please without fear. Additionally, it is more calming to mow without an incessant buzz in one’s ear.
- Safety Features: Electric mowers normally include features like a safety key that must be inserted into the mower’s “ignition” slot before the unit will power on. This is especially soothing if you have young kids around, and worry about the children accidentally hurting themselves.
- Good for the Environment: Electricity is cleaner for the planet, because it does not produce harmful, ozone depleting fumes like gas mowers do. Being environmentally conscious comes through small steps. Purchasing a green mower is a great way to start, and will go a long way to minimizing your family’s carbon footprint.
Why Not to Buy One
- Battery Loss: The battery life of mowers can vary drastically and are also dependent on the condition of the lawn. This poses a problem, because you could end up running out of power halfway through cutting your lawn. That being said running out of power would be a very extreme case with our recommendations. Wet grass/hard to cut strains can deplete the mower’s battery faster than normal.
- Lower Power (generally): Electric mowers, with the exclusion of the EGO+, are rarely as powerful as their gas counterparts. As battery technology improves this disparity will continue to lessen, but for now don’t expect the grass slaughtering performance of a Snapper gas push mower if you own a Greenworks.
The above mowers encompass the defining options in the electrical lawn mower space. While our pick for best electric mower may exclude the WORX-all the mowers we covered have some outstanding features and abilities. We hope you found a mower that fits your needs, and we hope you asses the specifics of each mower more closely within our in-depth article reviews. Happy Mowing! If you want to learn more about lawn mowers, read the best corded lawn mower.